Welcome!

Welcome! Since I will not have the resources to e mail my usual circle of friends and family while in Ecuador, this is it. This Blog will be my vehicle for "dropping you a line..."

Monday, January 10, 2011

Arrival in Quito

The layover time in Miami was fortuitous. I met a woman traveling home to Quito. She works as a cook for an oil company located near Coco. We shared experiences and the time passed quickly. My seat mate was raised in Guayaquil. I had a lot of opportunity to practice my Spanish skills. Both were very helpful regarding customs and land transit. When leave the boarding area, I was extremely happy to see the hotel staff with a sign with my name on it. We landed at 11:30 p.m. and I was settled in by 1:30 am. Pedro picked me up at 9 a.m. for meetings at Headquarters. There I met a young lady that will be an English teacher in an Achuar community for 6 weeks.  After huge lunch of potatoes and beefsteak we 3 traveled to the Volcano Park to take a tram to a viewing site of mountains all around, such as Cayamabe (5792m), Chimborazo (6310 m), and Cotopaxi (5897 m.) Even with clouds all around, the view was spectacular. I returned to the hotel just in time for dinner with our friend Sebastian. We met him at Kapawi 2 years ago and spent 3 hours catching up. Tomorrow is travel to Kapawi!

No comments:

Post a Comment