Welcome!

Welcome! Since I will not have the resources to e mail my usual circle of friends and family while in Ecuador, this is it. This Blog will be my vehicle for "dropping you a line..."

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Good Reading

To get myself into the proper mindset for living in the Amazon region, the past few months I have been doing some background reading. The following books were recommended on the Kapawi Ecolodge website: The Spears of Twilight, Life and Death in the Amazon JungleThe World Is As You Dream It,  Amazon Beaming,  Savages, and The Jivaro, People of the Sacred Waterfalls.  Reading these gave me an appreciation of the challenges faced by the early explorers and faced every day by the people that live in the Amazon region. My son, Christopher, sent me The lost City of Z to read, I am currently reading The River of Doubt by Candice Millard and Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice. If you want to know more about what it is like along an Amazon tributary, read one of the above mentioned books. Some of the encounters recounted in the books do give me pause...

No comments:

Post a Comment